23 May 2018
Multiple breath washout: A new and promising lung function test for patients with idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis
The Journal of the Asian Pacific Society of Respirology focused on the multi-breath nitrogen washout test and its most important applications in Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF).
The clinical properties of the Nitrogen Multi-breath washout test, which is a lung function test that measures ventilation inhomogeneity, a biomarker of small airway disease, were analyzed in Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF) patients. Primary outcomes were
- validity: ability to discriminate between healthy controls (HC) and patients with IPF,
- reliability: intra- and inter-test variability
- correlation with clinical disease severity (Gender–Age–Physiology (GAP) stage) and clinical findings from spirometry and HRCT.
The study confirms that "N2-MBW is a feasible, reliable and valid lung function test in IPF. LCI correlates with diffusion impairment, structural airway damage and clinical dis- ease severity. LCI is a promising surveillance tool in IPF that may predict mortality".
The article details are the following:
- Title: "Multiple breath washout: A new and promising lung function test for patients with idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis"
- Authors: Nyilas S, Schreder T, Singer F, Poellinger A, Geiser TK, Latzin P, Funke M.
- Published in: Respirology. 2018 Mar 24
The full study can be purchased at the following link: click here
Founded in 1980, COSMED is a privately owned company manufacturing Cardio Pulmonary, Metabolic and Body Composition Diagnostic Equipment. COSMED products include a full range of Spirometers, Pulmonary Function, Body Composition, Nutritional Assessment and Cardio Pulmonary Exercise systems, including Electrocardiographs, Ergometers and Assessment Software. COSMED solutions are aimed for either professional or medical use for many different applications like: Hospital, Clinics, Primary Care, University & Education in Human Physiology, Clinical Nutrition, Commercial Weight Management, Human Performance Centers, Sport Institutions and Health Club Industry. COSMED Headquarters are located in the province of Rome, Italy. COSMED has subsidiaries in the USA, China, Germany, France and Netherlands, and distributes its products internationally through a constantly growing distributor network covering more than 80 countries.