Multiple breath washout: A new and promising lung function test for patients with idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis
The Journal of the Asian Pacific Society of Respirology focused on the multi-breath nitrogen washout test and its most important applications in Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF).
The clinical properties of the Nitrogen Multi-breath washout test, which is a lung function test that measures ventilation inhomogeneity, a biomarker of small airway disease, were analyzed in Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF) patients. Primary outcomes were
- validity: ability to discriminate between healthy controls (HC) and patients with IPF,
- reliability: intra- and inter-test variability
- correlation with clinical disease severity (Gender–Age–Physiology (GAP) stage) and clinical findings from spirometry and HRCT.
The study confirms that "N2-MBW is a feasible, reliable and valid lung function test in IPF. LCI correlates with diffusion impairment, structural airway damage and clinical dis- ease severity. LCI is a promising surveillance tool in IPF that may predict mortality".
The article details are the following:
- Title: "Multiple breath washout: A new and promising lung function test for patients with idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis"
- Authors: Nyilas S, Schreder T, Singer F, Poellinger A, Geiser TK, Latzin P, Funke M.
- Published in: Respirology. 2018 Mar 24
The full study can be purchased at the following link: click here
Get in touch
COSMED strives to provide the best service possible with every contact!
Fill the online forms to get the info you're looking for right now!